Hosting a book party is a great way to get children excited about reading.
- Themed games
- Themed crafts
Let’s show kids how much fun reading can be by incorporating other types of activities themed under a great book.
- Choose a theme for your book party: themes could be as broad as rhyming or as specific as an author.
- Choose your theme based on the interest and age of your group – you could do a poll to find out what they like!
- Consult the suggested book lists by the OPL for ideas.
- Plan themed foods, crafts and other activities for your event.
- Set up a reading area, with comfy blankets and pillows for children to sit as they listen to a story.
- Read some themed books during your party; choose the length and number of books you’d like to get through depending on the age and size of your group.
- Display themed books during the party and encourage children to read these on their own.
- Search out other 150 Days activities to accompany this one.
- There are no foreseeable safety concerns for this activity.
- Who was the protagonist (main character)?
- What was the problem?
- Was it solved?
- What was your favourite part of the book?
- Did you enjoy the craft?
- What book should we do next time?