Through this game, students develop patience and learn the importance of cooperating with their teammates.
- A bandana (or other small object
- A quarter
Students will begin this game of cooperation and teamwork by sitting in two lines facing each other. All students are holding hands and have their eyes closed (except the line leader). The teacher (or student leader) flips a coin. If it falls on tails, nothing happens, and the instructor flips again. If it falls on heads, students pass a squeeze down the line. When the last student feels a squeeze, they jump up and race to beat the other teammate to the bandana across the room.
- Divide group into two equal teams.
- Have each team get into two single file lines holding hands with the teams facing each other.
- The leader stands at the front between the two lines.
- Place the bandana on the ground at the rear of the lines directly in between the two lines.
- Remind everyone that they must keep their eyes shut and remain silent.
- Flip a quarter. Only the first players in each line can watch to see if it lands on heads or tails.
- The rest of the players must have their eyes closed.
- If the quarter shows heads, the players at the front sends a squeeze (or pulse) down the line which should reach the end of the line.
- When the squeeze reaches the last player in line, he or she tries to pick up the bandana first.
- Whichever team wins the bandana, the player in the front moves to the back of the line and the players rotate forward.
- If the coin is tails, no action happens. The leader just flips the coin again.
- The game ends when the player who began the game at the front of the line reaches the front again.
- Play sitting down.
- Have a different signal to pass back.
- If a player sends a pulse when the leader does not show heads, the player at the back returns to the front of the line, making the game more challenging and longer.
- Running could pose a tripping and falling risk. Be careful.
No wrap-up is necessary for this activity
Obtained from: https://www.playworks.org/game-library/birds-of-prey/