Participants clown around, and go through the different circus stations.
- Rope (or beanbags)
- Juggling scarves or balloons
- Hula hoops
Please see the attached document for an example of the set up. Set up a rope or a row of beanbags to represent a tightrope, that participants have to walk across. Set up a gym mat, where participants have to do somersaults or log rolls across. Place a bunch of juggling scarves or balloons in an area. Place two rows of cones that mirror each other and are a foot or so apart. Have an area with a bunch of hoops.
- All participants are going to be clowns at the circus, and are going to do all the circus activities. Allow participants to come up with their own clown names, an example is Chuckles, or Squeaks-A-Lot. Of course, if there is a participant with a fear of clowns (as we all know that fear is very real), allow them to be an acrobat or a talking elephant, or anything else.
- Participants will all go the same way around the circus activities, but they can all start at different circus stations.
- Have participants go around for a set amount of time or for a set amount of times.
- Here are the circus stations:
Tightrope: Participants have to walk with one foot in front of the over across the tightrope (rope or row of beanbags). The rope can be a straight line or could have curves. Optional: If a participant steps off the rope or beanbags, they have to start again.
Mat: Participants do somersaults or log rolls across the mat like an acrobat. Remind participants to wait until the participant in front of them is off the mat before they can start.
Juggling Scarves/Balloons: Participants can take 1-3 juggling scarves (have older participants take at least 2), and they have to complete 5 juggles with the scarves. If using balloons, participants have to keep up 1-3 balloons in the air, and hit them 5 times. (To juggle, toss the scarf/balloon from the right hand up diagonally to above the left hand, then toss the left hand scarf/balloon up diagonally to above the right hand. At this point the first tossed object will be falling; use your left hand to catch the scarf/balloon, and then your right hand to catch the second scarf/balloon).
Unicycle: Create a path using two rows of cones that are close to each other. Participants will hop on one foot (their own unicycle) through the path of cones. Participants wait until the participant ahead of them finishes the unicycle path before they begin. Optional: If a participant hops out of the path, or puts their other foot down, they have to go back to the start and at the end of the line to try again.
Hoops: Participants will take a hoop and have to do 10 consecutive spins with the hoop around their waist. Have participants spread out from each other.
- Create different circus stations, or set up less circus stations.
- Leader holds a hoop at the mat, and participants have to roll/step/jump through the hoop.
- Ensure there is enough space to safely have all the stations. For participants at the hoop station, make sure they spread out so they don’t hit each other with the hoops.
- Remove any safety hazards and obstacles from the activity area.
- Remind participants to be aware of their surroundings and to keep their head up.
No wrap-up is required for this activity.
Obtained from: http://activeafterschool.ca/activities/balance-levels