Encourage children to write a word or letter then watch it disappear and reappear before their very eyes.
Write secret message that only you and the people who know how to decipher them can read.
- Ask children to cut out the template and use a tack to fasten disks together.
- To “encode” or create a code, ask one child to think of a secret message.
- He/she should turn the small ring to find the first letter of their secret word, inside the rectangle cut-out. Now, instead of writing down this letter, they should write down the letter on the small ring.
- He/she continues until their message is complete.
- The template will work best on cardstock, or glued to cardboard.
- There are no foreseeable safety concerns for this activity.
Participants can invite someone to decode their message, by finding the code letter on the inside ring, and the correct letter in the rectangle.
Obtained from: Kids Make Stuff (n.d.)The KidsMakeStuff Cipher Dis. Retrieved from http://www.kidsmakestuff.com/articles/show/18hm