Participants create name acronyms for their name, a family member’s name, a friend’s name, a TV/movie/book character’s name, a historical figure’s name, a musician/actor’s name, an animal and so on.
- Crayons/Pencil Crayons
- Scissors (optional)
Explain what an acronym is and give participants examples. An acronym is an abbreviated form of a phrase or word using the initial letters. Examples are: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), ASAP (As Soon As Possible), ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), P.S. (Postscript). There are also many popular acronyms used in social media: BRB (Be Right Back), TTYL (Talk To You Later), LOL (Laugh Out Loud) and so on. Participants are going to create a name acronym.
- Give each participant at least one piece of paper and a pen or pencil.
- The leader can allow participants to select what name they want to use to create their acronym, or the leader will give participants a theme they have to follow. Themes could include:
- Family member’s name, animal, historical figure, musician, actor, their own name (and last name), friend’s name, TV/movie/book character’s name and so on.
- If participants are learning about a particular individual or individuals, use this as an activity to demonstrate what they have learned.
- Participants will select a name and then write down an adjective, adverb, verb, noun, or a short phrase that describes the individual, using each letter of the name. Encourage participants to use dictionaries and thesauruses.
- Participants write the name vertically down a piece of paper. Allow participants to draw pictures as well and to be creative with their letters and words. Example of a name acronym (Simba
from Lion King):
- Could do an acronym based on a location or thing, such as Canada (or another country), type of food, a game, a holiday, a sport and so on.
- The leader will select a name for a group of participants, and each participant has one letter. They will cut out their section of the name and put them together on a big piece of paper.
- If using scissors, remind participants of using them safely.
- What are some advantages to using acronyms?
- What are some disadvantages to using acronyms?
Obtained from: http://activeafterschool.ca/activities/name-acronym-fun-aka-naf