Children learn about words, sounds, and grammar, as they create their own name.
Compound words are words that are made up of two or more words, usually an adjective and a noun, and when combined, they are written as single word, function as a single word, and take on one single meaning. Many superhero names are compound words like ‘Batman’ ‘superwoman’ or ‘daredevil’. The first word describing the person and the second word indicating their gender, class, or occupation.
- Spread out the adjectives into one pile and the nouns into another.
- Help the children choose one descriptive word and one noun.
- Have them write the name on a nametag and wear it for the day.
- Ask participants to explain what superpower they might have and to share their ideas with the group.
- There are no foreseeable safety concerns for this activity.
Use this activity to prepare for the other Superhero themed activities.